How To Get Rid Of Termites From Your Home?
Termites are responsible for a significant amount of damage every year in all parts of the world. If you are a homeowner, you would have found yourself facing this issue of termites and having to replace the wooden furniture of your house because of the destruction that these little pests can cause. Since termite-infected wooden furniture can play a huge role in damaging the structural integrity of the house, it becomes important to get rid of and replace not only the parts of the house but also find a way to eliminate termites from the house permanently
- Know Your Termite Before You Plan for Termite Control
- Identifying the Infestation for Anti-Termite Treatment at Home
- What Are Termites Attracted To
- How to Get Rid of Termites
- Tips on How to Protect Furniture From Termite Attack
Know Your Termite Before You Plan for Termite Control
Before you look for a termite repellent spray, wouldn't you like to know how these little insects work their way into your house? They eat their way through anything in their path and make burrows and make entry points for their colonies to enter. When their colonies are distributed, termites band their heads against walls and shake their bodies to make a certain clicking sound. This is the sound you would probably have heard if you were dealing with a termite infestation. Before selecting a method to effectively eradicate them, it would be important to know the type of termites that can affect your house.
Two main types of termites are found in houses that may create damage - subterranean and drywood.
- Subterranean type of termites can thrive on both soil and water. These pests, however, prefer conditions that are moist so that they can build their homes. They are most commonly found under the structure of a house and are the culprits that destroy their wooden foundations.
- Drywood termites, on the other hand, may not necessarily need moist conditions to live. They can also infect and live inside dried woods like walls. This makes removing them from the house even more difficult.
Both types of termites can be dangerous to have in the house. Drywood termites can cause much more harm to the house as they can live inside it, within the dry furniture parts of the home.
Must Read: How To Choose The Best Insect Repellents for Your Family
Identifying the Infestation for Anti-Termite Treatment at Home
The termite repellent spray that you purchase will be most effective when you can identify the type of infestation that you are having to deal with. Here are a few simple things that you can look out for before you begin to devise your treatment plan:
- Keep a keen eye out for any kind of holes in your wooden furniture or woodwork in the house. If it falls readily when you tap or push it with a pointed object, it can be a sure sign of termites residing in the wooden furniture.
- Check for sawdust or wood-colored termite droppings on the floor or within wooden furniture. You can also spot wings around the same areas where there might be chips or cracks in the furniture.
- If you can see mud-tube formations on the walls, it is also a sign of subterranean termites.
What Are Termites Attracted To
Termites can be attracted to multiple things in the house. This is unfortunate as this means that they can affect several different parts of the home:
- The most common thing that they are attracted to is wood. Depending on the type of termite infesting your house, they can be attracted to dry wood or moist wood. Since termites are known to eat wood, it is natural that wooden items and furniture will be the first thing that they will infest
- Termites are also attracted to moist soil. Since certain types of termites are known to thrive on moist soil, they can use this ground to create mud tubes.
One approach to getting rid of termites would be eliminating and removing the things from the house that termites may be attracted to. This will help you control them better. Being proactive can help keep termites away from your house and will prevent more damage. However, it may not be possible to remove all items of wood, therefore, having a natural termite repellent in the house can be effective.
How to Get Rid of Termites
Getting rid of termites permanently might be a job for experts. However, this does not mean that you can not gain some knowledge about the different processes to do so. This will also help you be aware of what may go on in your house when you call professionals to kill termites. They will know the best way to treat the problem of termites and also prevent them from recurring over and over again.
- One effective method to eliminate termites would be when you treat the soil around the house. Using a termite insecticide, you can ensure that the soil does not help termites grow and thrive. The same treatment can apply to wood if termites are present inside
- Another popular way of getting rid of termites would be with the help of termite baits. These are strategically placed in and around the house that will lure the termites in. Once trapped, the termites are then covered with a termite-repellent spray.
- Fumigation also eradicates the termite infestation in the house
Tips on How to Protect Furniture From Termite Attack
The most important thing would be to ensure that you are working towards the prevention of termites in the first place. Here are the steps that you can take to prevent the onset of a termite infestation:
- Try to keep all your furniture away from moisture
- Apply aloe vera gel on wooden furniture regularly so that it acts as a protective cover
- Any unused or unwanted wooden items can be discarded as they are hotbeds for termites to grow
- Get regular chemical treatments done by professionals especially if you live in coastal areas.
Taking the necessary steps to prevent the growth of termites in your home - both interiors and exteriors- will help keep these little pests away for good. Regular inspection of the house will also help keep termites at bay.
FAQs On How to Get Rid Of Termites
What is the Fastest Way to Get Rid of Termites
One of the fastest ways to get rid of termites would be with the help of an organic termite repellent. These sprays, if used with proper directions, will ensure that the termite infestation will die down and will also prevent them from forming again.
What do Termites Hate the Most
It is a well-known fact that termites do not prefer to be in the sunlight. Too much exposure to the sun can cause termites to die. When you suspect termites in wooden furniture, you can keep it out in the sun to kill the pests
What Household Item can I use to Kill Termites
A commonly available household item, boric acid, can be sprayed on certain affected items and can get rid of the termites present in the houses. This is a good, non-toxic method to deal with the termite problem.
How do I get Rid of Termites Permanently
Using essential oils, repellent sprays, and getting the house checked by professionals regularly will ensure that the formation of termites does not happen frequently. Using home remedies like vinegar diluted in water or vinegar and lemon juice can also eradicate the problem of termites permanently.