How to Choose the Best Insect Repellent for You
Insects can create a huge nuisance in the house and can also invite a host of diseases and unwanted illnesses. Additionally, they have the potential to make a freshly cleaned and sanitary house dirty and unhygienic. However, we need not worry about this anymore. For each insect, you can now have an insect repellent to combat the specific issues that you may have to deal with.
With the plethora of options that are present in the market to deal with insects, it can be a little intimidating to choose the best one. Understandably, you would want to choose the ones that are efficient against insects and not harmful to people. To achieve this, the best idea would be to opt for natural insect repellents. The shift toward being more environmentally conscious and aware of the harm that chemical repellents could cause has led to an increased preference for herbal and natural products.
Check that the Insect Repellent is not Harmful
The first and most important thing would be to check and understand how harmful if at all, the insect repellent would be. This can be done with the help of understanding what goes into the process of making the repellent. One of the best possible ways would be to choose a natural insect repellent for home use. This would ensure that no hard and toxic chemical is going into the production of this product.
You can look for the authenticity of the brand that is preparing the repellent along with conducting detailed research into all the ingredients that have gone into the preparation of the particular product. Read about any possible side effects or reactions that long-term exposure to those chemicals could cause. Choose an insect repellent that is only harmful to its target – the insects.
Lookout at the key ingredients
If you are looking to buy natural insect repellents for the house, the key ingredients would matter a lot. Only repellents that have been made with 100% herbal ingredients would fit the category of being ‘environment-friendly’ and ‘natural’. Here are some ingredients that you need to look out for.
- DEET – It is one of the most reliable ingredients that can be used for mosquitoes and other insects. Several research studies have proven that DEET is not harmful to human health and the environment. CDC also recommends that for insect repellent to be effective, it should contain at least 20% DEET. The higher the percentage of this ingredient, the longer the protection will last.
- Picaridin – In natural insect repellents, the synthetic compound picaridin can play a huge role. It is proven to be highly effective against ticks, mosquitoes, and other biting insects. A mere 20% of picaridin can protect against irritants and pests for up to 12 hours. It can be used even for children as it is safe and can be applied on clothes and skin too.
- Lemon eucalyptus oil – An insect repellent that has to be effective can also be naturally derived and aromatic. 30% oil of lemon eucalyptus protects from mosquitoes for up to 6 hours. It is a good sustainable resource against insects and can be used safely even on children.
- Permethrin – Made from chrysanthemum flowers, it is an active ingredient that kills insects upon contact. You can also look for this ingredient in the herbal insect repellents that you are planning on investing in.
Buying a Tester to ensure effectiveness
You would not want to realize later that the natural insect repellent for home use that you purchased turned out to be less effective and did not do the job that it was purported to. It would be a good idea to first purchase a tester to make sure that the protection you are looking for will be delivered to you with the product that you have put your faith in. Tester products can audition and account for the result that the actual insect repellent would provide. Use the tester exactly how you would use the product to check for its effectiveness.
Tips for applying insect repellent
The instructions to apply and use certain insect repellents are often provided clearly on the packaging. Following those directions to the T will give you the best results and would not lead to any harm.
- You can read and follow the label to understand how much of the product you need to use.
- Most often, even herbal insect repellents need to be applied only to the exposed skin or on top of the clothes.
- Avoid contact with eyes, mouth, cuts, wounds, scrapes, etc.
- Make sure to not spray them near food items and utensils.
- Store them well, as directed.
Very often, we think that we do not need to invest in insect repellent and try to use home remedies against mosquitoes, ants, cockroaches, etc. We use camphor, vinegar, and several other products in the hope to get rid of these insects. However, have you ever noticed that they always come back? Moreover, these home remedies might not be as useful and can get tiring to make every time you have to deal with an ant or a cockroach infestation. The best possible solution in such a case would be to opt for an insect repellent that is naturally derived, effective, safe for the environment, and can be easily purchased.
Use herbal strategi products for any insect-related issue that you might be dealing with. The team has come up with brilliant and impeccably effective products that have been well-researched. Each product differs in the ingredients as they are made to deal with specific issues and particular insects. For example, herbal insect repellents made for mosquitoes will have a certain ingredient that is known to be effective to eliminate mosquitoes from the house. Choose from a variety of products like repellents, floor cleaners, garden care, pet grooming, disinfectants, etc. Now, easily accessible and affordable, natural products are the way to go!